Saturday, July 2, 2016

Review: Keil James Patrick scalloped Oxford and Fortunate Sailor bracelet

You may recall the time when JCrew introduced us to KJP. It's always so much fun to discover "approved" designers and brands through La Crew. So I started keeping an eye on KJP, occasionally following them on IG, and bookmarking Sarah Vickers' blog. 

Well, Sarah just posted about their 4th of July sale (use "MadeInAmerica" for 25% off your order), and I had to revisit the site.

Most of the time, the scalloped Oxford shirts are sold out in my size. This time, the blue stripe and the paris pink were still available, so I ordered. Using their size charts, I placed a bet on the XS. I wear 0 in JCrew and am busty for my general build. 

I also ordered the Fortunate Sailor knot bracelet, which I have long admired from a distance, also in XS. I love that they have measurements and measured bracelet sizes, running the gamut from XS to L. 

My items shipped almost immediately on Thursday, and arrived on Saturday....in this gigantic box, with very distinctive branding:


Inside this behemoth lay:



That's the obligatory free sticker promised with every order these days. And look at the cords tied in sailor knots! 

Closeup of a sailor knot.

I opened the packages and the details of the presentation were just delightful. You can feel the desire for perfection, in each perfectly folded layer of tissue, and the boxes so artfully lined with maps, in keeping with the nautical theme. 

The bracelet box, lined with a map of Martha's Vineyard.

The shirt box, lined with a map of "Sounds and Approaches".

The beautifully printed tissue in which each piece was wrapped. 


Closeup on inside cover of shirt box.

The bracelet is lightweight, but well made. It is woven leather, coated in a lovely gold paint. It is held together by a leather loop and metal anchor. The fit is quite exact, which is a complete and utter rarity for me - the only other time a bracelet fits me this well is when it's custom-made gold jewellery, made to order in Pakistan. I also love the anchor-hinge closure system. It is actually manipulable with one hand, freeing one from having to seek help from husband or bystander in the process of getting dressed and decorated. ;)

Nestled in its box.





The gold has shine to it, and from a distance you can't actually tell whether the whole thing is metal or not. I loved this piece and it exceeded my expectations.

The shirt, too, is very fitted and well-stitched. The fabric is a silky smooth cotton, which I think means it's a high thread count. Where it is sourced is unknown to me, but the construction of the shirt itself is all done in the USA. 


In a simple clear plastic shirt bag,....

Folds held together with two shirt clips. 

Notably, the shirt was packaged un-ironed. This threw me into doubt over whether it had previously been tried on by someone. But it was perfectly folded, so I guess not. 

I love a good crisp back box pleat. Sadly, this one wasn't very well ironed, nor was it crisp.

Mother of pearl buttons, delicately etched with anchors. They are a thin little slice each, but fully functional.

Again, I love all the little designer details, like this intensely lettered label. Doesn't leave an inch of wasted space on it - very literary, in its own way, really!

Beautifully stitched scalloped collar.



And now, the fit. The shirt is cut quite close. Thankfully, the armholes and fit on the bust are easy. I didn't feel a strain of any sort while wearing it. But, my tummy doesn't look great, though, does it? And there's odd folds on my midsection.  This isn't actually because of my waist, however. Rather, it's because the shirt is very fitted on the hips! This is a surprise because I actually have fairly narrow hips, with no real curve there to speak of. So I didn't feel that the shirt was as flattering once it was on me, as I had hoped. 

The fabric is a little see-through - you might spy a slight leopard pattern showing through from my brawr <snort>. Said item is actually printed in quite muted shades of grey and mushroom, so for it to show through means that even a tidy white undergarment would show. It would have to be nudes only that you could get by in, in this one.

However, the material is breathable. I didn't get hot or "glowy" while wearing the shirt, so it will layer nicely under sweaters. Indeed, the scallop collar will really shine then.

So, I did a hasty fold up, to illustrate how it would look tucked in, and sure enough, once the hips were released, the shirt felt and looked better.

Now, any fault you see is entirely due to my poor posture and curvy waistline. :D

The sleeves are a good length for me on the XS. Despite the wrinkling you see in the photo, the sleeves didn't feel wide or seem to include excess fabric. 

I love the concept of the shirt, and most of the execution. I might exchange for a Small to see if the fit improves. Fingers crossed, I hope it will. 

Overall, I am thoroughly impressed with this proud little American clothier. They have some marvelous pieces of jewellery (I love their pearls, their belts, and many of their bracelets), and they have well stitched shirts. The scalloped Oxford line has been extended this season to scalloped Oxford tunic dresses. 

With 25% off for Independence Day, a great shipping and returns policy, and well-organized website, now is the time to check it out! 

Two thumbs up, and Happy Fourth of July, everyone! πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸŽ‰πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸŽ‰πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ



No comments:

Post a Comment